Sunday, April 20, 2008

Newlands East and Parlock Homestays

Parlock Homestay Pictures Reshma and her family
Maya and I making Rotis
More Rotis...so delicious!

Newlands East Homestay Pictures

The family and I.
The apartment we stayed in was on the bottom floor.
Picture of Newlands East

The week of March 24th I stayed with a coloured family in Newlands East, a township about 20 min outside the city center of Durban. During apartheid it was an exclusively coloured area, now it is a little more integrated, but still remains predominantly coloured. My family consisted of a mother (Gloria) 2 sons Dale (21) and Jose (20) and one daughter Kelly (15). I was only there for a few days so I didn't become super close with them, but it was still very interesting. My family was extremely religious born again Christians and everynight they took me to Bible Study for several hours.


PARLOCK
The week of April 7th I lived with an Indian Family in an area called Parlock. I was paired with a girl named Liz from my program. The rest of the students in my family lived in Newlands West (across a highway from Newlands East) which used to be only Indian during apartheid and pretty much remains that way today. My family cancelled the morning students were supposed to move in so our teacher somehow found this GREAT family in Parlock (about 5 min from Newlands West) to take us in. There was Roy (father 55) Maya (mom) Reshma (daughter 33) Niven (son 28). Reshma didn't live at the house but came over all the time with her two little sons.

I loved them! The first day we were there it was the father Roy's bday and they had a HUGE celebration with about 30-40 family members over at the house. The second night the aunt and uncle invited us over to "taste" roti's and we ended up staying for 4 hours eating this AMAZING but huge meal...then we got home and Maya made us eat MORE curry! As you can probably guess the food was soooooo good!!! Another night Maya wrote down a bunch of Indian recipies for Liz and I and then taught us how to make rotis (see picture).

No comments: